Friday, May 11, 2007

Down A Country Road: Pregnant In Rural America

by Sarah Bryson

I am 28-years old, and 15-weeks pregnant. I want to share some problems I am facing during my pregnancy.

First I did some research on what I wanted for my care and birth. I discovered many things that I wanted to talk over with my O.B., when I got one, such as Electronic Fetal Monitoring (EFM), Cesareans, drugs during labor and “when and what” a doctor does that he thinks is best for me and my baby.

When I met with my local O.B. (the first of the two in my town) he was nice but offended when I asked what his view on abortions were. He wouldn’t answer until I told him why I had asked. I explained that I had an abortion when I was younger and I didn't want a physician who would look down on me for having done so. He answered that he was personally okay with that choice for women, but offered that the other O.B. in town wasn't. He also has a cesarean rate of 25% with the main reason being: Failure to Progress.

Then, I tried an O.B. in a bigger town next to me and she told me flat out that the reason for cesareans going up, not only in her practice, but across the country were because of liability issues and too many people suing their doctors when they don't have a perfect baby. So basically, because a doctor is afraid of law suits, I get pushed into having an invasive procedure against my will. This doctor also told me that because I asked questions about her practice's labor procedures, I wasn't enjoying my pregnancy.

And lastly I interviewed a nurse midwife that was in practice with an O.B. and asked her all the same questions. She was pleasant, but she didn't know her practice's cesarean rate, and, she also believed that the main reason that cesareans were on the rise was because of liability issues.

However, the last thing I expected was for her to disagree with my research indicating that Electronic Fetal Monitoring was originally used to detect/prevent Cerebral Palsy, and that the latest research suggests that it isn't preventing Cerebral Palsy at all -- it's just increasing the cesarean rate! She told me that she insists on EFM every 20-minutes, every hour during labor, even if I'm not high risk. She believes that EFM is the only tool that allows the baby to talk to the Doctor (and her.)

I'm afraid that I won't find a supportive, caring, person to help with my prenatal and labor care. I don't want to settle for someone who either, doesn't agree that I should have any concerns, or that dismisses my birth plan. I also don't want to be involved with anyone who would put corporate insurance policy above my wishes.

--Stories From The Street on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (March, 2007)

No comments: